Tuesday, June 1, 2010

From Photographer To Finisher


For months I've just been a spectator from the sidelines , a support base and often times the photographer for my friends who are into running or just fond of joining fun runs here in the metro. I've also been the target of ridicule among my peers because of my figure & weight issues - that I can't do shit, I'm too heavy, stamina & endurance left me, and the list goes on. I wasn't motivated, dunno why. Probably just too lazy to do something, I guess. Something happened last April that somehow got me motivated to do something for myself. I decided to join the RUNRIO-organized Nature Valley Run and got myself registered for the 10-kilometer run. There's no turning back since I also bought myself unnecessary running gear & accessories para manghinayang ako sa perang ginastos ko if ever I had thoughts of backing out.

2nd Week of May - I started walking around the UP Oblation area (or whatever it is called) on the weekend before elections, needed to get my legs accustomed again to walking more than a few meters at least. Good thing my sister always tagged along to keep me company. Did 4 laps each day for 3 days. From then on I started walk-jog combinations for 8 days either at UP or Boni High Street leading into race day to get my heart & lungs to do their thing. Talk about super cramming for a totally unfit, overweight newbie.


Race day, May 30 - A few friends joined me for bonding & support. We were a little late going to the starting line so from the parking area we had to jog just to catch up, bad thing though was that we had no warm ups. It occured to me when my calf muscles began hurting just a few hundred meters into the run so I had to stop & just walk my way and hope the pain goes away. All I was thinking of was to at least finish the distance in every way I can. After 3kms , guess what - the pain's gone. I had a female friend running alongside me so I adjusted my pace to hers - don't wanna hurt my calves again & worse, have an asthma attack during the event. Pinagsalit-salitan ko parin ang lakad-jog, I thought it's fine since first time ko and after 1 hour & 36 minutes, I crossed the finish line. The sun was already up, I'm dripping with sweat & I'm feeling wobbly but I was happy. I just proved something to myself, I'm not a hopeless case -from sideline cheerleader / photographer to a proud 10k finisher - and I think I'm not done yet. I'm now looking forward to the next run me & my friends can join to help keep me motivated , to continue jogging/running for my health and hopefully improve my first Personal Record. I guess...WELCOME TO THE RUNNING WORLD!


*Maraming salamat sa PhotoVendo - meron 'nako remembrance for the event! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment