Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Different Experience At Run To Read 2010

Last Sunday's run was a different experience for me, also the least prepared run I've ever joined. I never jogged nor even walked on the treadmill for two weeks leading to race day. No calisthenics, not even stretching as in ZERO. On the eve of the run I slept late because I came home late from my Grad School classes & prepared the stuff I'll be wearing & bringing in the early morning run. I woke up at 3am to double check on my stuff , prepare for the event & eat something. Bad trip! I forgot to get myself an energy drink & granola bars! Now what??!! A cup of Milo would do - or so I thought. I arrived at the race venue hungry!

The race started a few minutes before 6am - it'll be hot on the way to the finish. It was the first time I ran alone - no JERM, no buddies, no officemates. I thought I could PR since I'll be doing my jog-walk routine at my own pace. I also left my ipod in my bag so I can focus on the race & do my thing without any distractions. I started ok, jogged my first 2 kms continuously with no problems. On the 4th km my knees started feeling weak with a hint of pain - lintek! Wala akong patella braces , left them in my backpack. So now I have to take it easy 'coz it's still too early in the run. Then the most important thing that I forgot to check was the race route - ang daming hilly portions! In other words , I walked my way on the uphill portions of the route which slowed me down even more. Nung pabalik na after nung pataas & pababa medyo binilisan ko na to recover at least a little of my lost time. Lagpas 1 hour na & nasa hills area parin ako! I was panting my way to the finish line, mainit, pagod, nanlalambot & masakit ang lower extremities all because I didn't prepare well enough for the event. I have no one to blame but myself & I've learned my lesson. My efforts were not in vain naman knowing that part of my registration fee would benefit school children. Ang importante naman eh natatapos mo ang mga nasisimulan  at nae-enjoy mo ang mga ginagawa mo. Tama na ang daldal, kelangan na ng ice pack ang mga masasakit na tuhod, arch & heels.

No comments:

Post a Comment